Who is Devyani Khobragade?
She is an Indian Diplomat, working in New York as Deputy Consul General in Consulate General of India. She is an IFS Officer.
Devyani Khobragade has been arrested (handcuffed) on 12 Dec 2013 and was strip searched and later subjected to cavity search. Cavity search is usually done if the officers suspect the arrested person is carrying prohibited material such as drugs or weapons. After her detention; Media reported that she was confined with drug addicts and hardened criminals.
Why was Devyani Khobragade arrested?
The main reason was that she was underpaying (less than the US minimum wage) her Indian house keeper. She was only paying 1/3rd of what she was supposed to pay to her house keeper.
She was released on a $250,000 bond after pleading not guilty and surrendered her passport to the authorities.
India’s reaction or over reaction?
India has never reacted so strongly even on issues which were more sensitive than the arrest of Indian Diplomat, Devyani Khobragade. I really doubt if India had ever acted so bravely even on Pakistan?
Following steps were taken with in days as soon as the news broke out
- Top politicians and officials from Indian government refused to meet the US Congressional delegation that was visiting India at that time. Likes of Narendra Modi, Sushilkumar Shinde, Rahul Gandhi etc.
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha called for the arrest of same-sex companions of US diplomats
- The Indian government asked US consular officers posted in India to return all identity cards
- Delhi Police removed all barricades outside the US Embassy in New Delhi
- India asked the US government to provide details of the salaries of all domestic help, gardeners and other staff employed by US consulates in India
It is a welcome move that Indian Government is showing respect to it’s citizens and high ranked officials but the same courtesy should be followed in years to come not just before elections.
India has really adopted zero tolerance, the recent few court judgement also suggest a fast and changing Indian democracy for the good. We strongly wish the same to be continued forever!
Share your views!
Credit: Complied with inputs from Wikipedia