HRD Rules out IIM Indore’s UG Degree Plans

stopUnlike IITs which are established under the Act of Parliament the IIMs can’t award degrees on it’s own. It was a set back for IIM Indore which earlier in connection with it’s newly launched IPGP for higher secondary students said that the “5 year integrated post graduate programme has an option for students to with draw from it’s last two years of education to hold a bachelor’s degree in management”.

However the ministry of HRD made it clear that IIMs can’t offer degree on it’s own and went on to say that students who join IPGP will merely look for the name IIM and take up the course. HRD had also conveyed it’s stand on not interfering in the academic decisions of IIMs, however it is a different case.

As per sources, IIM Indore is planning to affiliate with an university (probably to a Canadian University) to keep the possibility of offering degrees. The same wasn’ t confirmed yet. One might really wonder as why students will take a call to drop out after three year’s when they have an option to spend two more valuable year’s at the prestigious IIM Indore.

Students should not that the IPGP course of IIM Indore hasn’t got any objection except that the program will be of 5 year’s and you will take away a PG degree after completing the 5 year course.

You are reading this article on blog.careermitra.com, stay tuned for updated news & current happenings!

48 comments on “HRD Rules out IIM Indore’s UG Degree Plans

1. Is there any difference between 5 years Integrated Diploma in Management and 2 years Post Graduate Diploma in Management? Which of these degrees will have more value?

2. deepak says:

Sir,my dream iz to get admission in iim for mba but right now m confused between bba n b.com honours, sir please help me

3. krina says:

hello,
    i m keenly interested in this course. i purely want to go for BBA n MBA.
    what would be the best for me after 12th?
    ipm or another good college? i am good with academics.

4. Dear Sir

I want to know which will be the better option.

Option 1:- TO do B.e from any local college and then try for P.G from IIM.

Option 2:- Or to take admission in Integrated 5 years course of IIM-I if got a chance.

Hope for your prompt reply.

5. Manpreet Singh Rajpal says:

Dear Sir,

I want to know which will be the better option.
    Option 1:-To do B.E from any local college then try for P.G from IIM
    Option 2:- To take admission in integrated 5 years course of IIM-I if got a chance.

Hope for ur prompt reply.

6. nikki says:

respected sir,
    i wanted to enquire whether this 5 year diploma degree by iim indore be equivalent to the mba degree??

will it be useful?? , now since its been a year we can answer that question more confidently…

reply awaited..

No, it is a PG diploma it will be useful or not it depends on you and your career aspirations, if you can crack jee or aieee you can go ahead and join in IITs or NITs and then do Master’s..IPM is for those students who are able to spend lacks of rupees for an integrated master’s course. In my view it is expensive.

7. Onkar Sharma says:

How 5 years Integrated Diploma in Management is different from 2-years MBA in IIM-Indore.
    Which degree has more value. please clarify

Hi Onkar, 5 year IPM is a new offering from IIM Indore and can’t be compared with 2 year regular MBA. They are different in many ways; 2 year MBA has more value.

8. karan chandnani says:

hi sir,
    as it is a first batchh so what u think will we get placement and what would be the amount of package given
    please reply

Hi Karan, It depends on the recruiting company and your performance in the academics and interview. I suppose the pay might be in the range of 10 to 12 Lakh P.A for an avg. student.

9. Rishabh says:

Respected sir,
    I have scored 89% in 10th n 66% in 12th, so will i be selected for the aptitude test and personal interview as have even gone for the bournvita quiz contest and i am a national level skater.
    Plz respond to this doubt as soon as possible.
    I am waiting for a positive and fast response.

Hi Rishabh, No speculation can be made about who will be qualified for AT & PI. As we can’t say how many students are applying and how much percentage they have.

10. Gautam says:

Sir,
    I’m a candidate who has finished, 12th std , in medical stream. More like, no mathematics. PCB + English and Computer Science. However, I’ve done math till 10th std. I’ve done ISCE, followed by ISC board. So is it advisable for me , to proceed, and apply for the AT, and take up a management course? Not that I lack skills in Math, it just wasn’t my aim, hence I dropped it, I’m pretty confident I can solve the ones, I saw in the sample paper. Awaiting your opinion.
    Regards.

11. Siddharth says:

i called the office today and they said fill only 10th and 12 th the exams organized by board will only be considered and self attested documents would also suffice

12. rohit says:

respected sir,
    what are the interviewers are going to ask in the PI??? I mean are they going to ask anything from our class 12th standard or just casual things?? rply awaited

13. BHANU SHARMA says:

Respected Sir,
    I would be greatful if you culd do the needful by clearing my following doubts regarding the IPGP course as offered by IIM-I :
    1.Since I have taken examinations of CBSE Board there was no central exam in class 11. How am I supposed to leave the column wherein I am required to fill the class 11 marks.
    2.Also we’ve been provided with only four rows for core subjects.My subjects in class 10 were Hindi,English,Mathematics,Science and Social Studies.
    Similarly I had five core subjects in Class 12.
    Sir, Please guide me regarding this and annihilate the confusion and chaos I am facing.
    Also tell me which subjects will form my core subjects and which will be additional.I had commerce stream in class 12 with ’5 CORE SUBJECTS’.
    3.The form demands attested certificates.Would attestation by a Gezzeted Officer suffice?

With shher hope and due respect, I am waiting for your reply.
    Yours Faithfully.

Hi Bhanu Sharma, I suggest you to contact Mr. Armstrong Andrews (Admissions office: 0731 2439686 & Mobile No: 9893419869) of IIM Indore. They will be able to better clarify and if you happen to contact him. Please update the solution, so other students will also be benefited.

14. Siddharth says:

sir they have given class XI column also in the form and in class xi we didn’t have formal exams so can i leave that column blank and fill only 12 and 10 marks also will they consider 11 marks for eligibility please explain

15. raghav arora says:

is idm, a good course to apply for…. what this hrd ruling has made the difference?

16. Unnati says:

Respected Sir,
    I have 85%in 10th and 68%in 12th. Is it very less as for the selection for the AT&PI is concerned???? I satisfy rest of the the eligibility criteria.
    Thanks. Reply awaited

17. Whats my chances for being called for AT and PI ?
    10th :94%
    12th:87%
    2 scholostic rewards so far .

18. Navneet Chouhan says:

Hey
    How should we answer the question
    “Why do you wish to go in for a management education through five integrated programme?”

19. Sir
    i passed 12th last year .if i can apply for this cource?
    i have 94%in 10th nd 88% in 12th.plz reply.

20. Unnati says:

Respected Sir,
    Thanks. Reply awaited.

21. rohit says:

Thanx a lot sir for your guidance.
    And sir actually i belong to science stream, so is dere any difficulty i’ll have to face during the personal interview or aptitude test??
    and what are your suggestions for preparation of both??
    Kindly inform me if there is any type of specialisation we can choose during the last 2 years of the course as i’m interested in international business and entrepreneurship.
    waitin for your reply.
    rohit

Hi Rohit, there won’t be any difficulty questions will be asked from your stream as the interviewers are aware of your stream in XII don’t worry about it. Aptitude test will be designed keeping in view of all streams in class XII it will not be biased. Practice and concentrate on accuracy keeping in view of time, specialization you can go for anything of your interest.

22. VIJAY says:

so will i get “pg” degree after doing “IDM” course ????

Hi Vijay, It will be equivalent to a PG degree. You will not get a degree separately and pg degree separately understand it carefully you will be studying 5 years course which is first of its kind in IIM history.First year the confusion is always there but by the time you complete your course (after 5 years) the name will be known and popular.

23. VIJAY says:

whats the diffrence between ipgp and IDM
    1st they said that they will award an “ipgp” degree
    and now they say “IDM”

Hi Vijay, there is not much difference they have renamed to Integrated Diploma in Management (IDM) from Integrated Post Graduate Programme (IPGP), since the regular two years management course is PGP (post graduate programme) this avoids confusion.

24. rohit says:

Thanx a lot sir for your guidance.
    and what are your suggestions for preparation of both??
    waitin for your reply.
    rohit

25. rohit says:

As students will not hold any undergraduate degree after the completion of the course, so sir will we able to apply for civil services paper???
    and i got 92.2%(in 10th) and 85%(in 12th), so sir do you think i can be selected for the aptitude test.
    waitin for your rply
    rohit

Hi Rohit, We can’t speculate about who will be called for AT & PI. It all depends on the shortlisting basis academics, scholastic achievements, the write up which is filled by the student in the application form are the major factors. Apply and be confident, with the civil services question I need to check and confirm, as this is an integrated PG. As far as what I know you can apply it happens with IITs , students who take 5 year integrated PG course will take up civil services exams. Since IIMs are offering such a course for the first time I am not aware of it.

26. rohit says:

thank you for the information. But sir i read in HT that “. The HRD ministry is concerned that students will not hold any degree — ruling them out of many career options.” So sir please help me in this diploma-degree dilemma. Waitin for your rplz eagerly.
    rohit

Hi Rohit, it is a 5 year course. You will get Integrated Post Graduate Programme (IPGP) as a post graduate degree from IIM Indore. Since IIMs are autonomous their courses will be called as diploma, as IIMs are not affiliated to any University in India or abroad, they run courses and design curriculum independently.

• rohit says:

rply please

27. rohit says:

respected sir,
    im very confused now… is this 5 year integrated course is worth doing as the diploma will be awarded by a canadian university…
    sir please reply

Hi Rohit, The diploma awarded will be from IIM Indore not from any University (or Canadian University), don’t confuse. Earlier there was an option to with draw from the course after 3 years now it is ruled out, it is mandatory for every one to take the course as a 5 year integrated course. In my view it is worth doing, even MBA’s from IIMs will get PG Diploma which has its own identity (The IIM PG Diploma) and is par equivalent with ab MBA degree.

• rohit says:

rohit

• Sk says:

Hi All,

My advice-If you really want to get into an IIM then please go for the top 3 else it is not a very wise decision as your precious money , time and energy all are at stake.
          IIM’s offer only Post Graduate Diplomas which are not recognised anywhere outside India. But IIFT and IIT’s offer MBA degrees.
          Over the last 10 years the Govt. of India has opened more than 16 IIT’s and 13 IIM’s without proper planning. IIM -Ahmedabad and top 3 IIM’s are a level ahead of new catgory IIM’s like IIM Indore n co.The top 3 IIM’s at Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta are the best. In IIT’s only IIT Delhi, Bombay, Kharagpur, Kanpur , Madras are good.Rest of the new institutes will take 10 years to come up.

The top 10 B-schools in India as of 2011 are as follows:-
          1.) IIM-A
          2.) IIM-B
          3.) IIM-C
          4.) ISB Hyderabad
          5.) MDI Gurgaon
          6.) FMS, Delhi
          7.) XLRI ,Jamshepur
          8.) IIT Delhi also has MBA only for Engineers/Post Graduate in any discipline
          9.) IIT Bombay also has MBA level program only for Engineers/Post Graduate in any discipline
          10.) IIM Lucknow and IIFT Delhi are also good.

As for newer IIM’s, go for the one nearest to your home.
          If you are in MP state then IIM-Indore is best for you.
          IIM Indore may not be in the top 10 list of brand name b-schools but still it is in the top 20 b-schools.